I recently asked you to answer a few questions about who you are, what you love, and what challenges you face. You candidly shared your thoughts, feelings, and feedback. Not only did you share yourself, you also told me how I can best serve you.
There are several statistics that you may find interesting. But let's start with what's most important: who you are.
You are intelligent and committed to life-long learning and personal development. In fact, almost 40% of you make personal development a high priority.
You are engaged. You embrace life, even with its challenges and trials, and you love the emotional connection that comes from important relationships. I saw that in your personal notes.
- You want to choose joy
- Loving your family well is a priority
- You went out of your way to encourage me
You know what's most important to you, yet don’t always live that as you’d like. You made comments like:
- Discernment to know what to leave and what to take on
- Am a living ganglion of irreconcilable differences
- Change some unhelpful habits
- Know who I am in Christ
36% of you said your biggest struggle is “I want to make a change, but my habits are getting in the way.”
28% of you want to choose joy, yet are surrounded by negativity.
By your comments you've shown your humanity – sometimes your values and actions don’t quite line up. Me too. You get to see my human frailties on a regular basis. Thank you for letting me know I'm not alone.
We don't always do what we know we should, what is right, or even what we want. We can be perverse people – tossed by circumstances, torn by our environment, and trapped by fear. And still you get up each morning and bring the best you have that day. A standing ovation and fist bump for you! Oh…….and a virtual hug.
Some of you are poised to make a big change, and are looking for support and guidance. For some it's professional. For others it's personal. I sensed both excitement and uncertainty as you shared your hopes and dreams.
You love to read. Many of you gave me book recommendations. They were diverse, and demonstrated your depth. You'll be happy to know that you've added to my reading list! A few of the recommendations (in case you want to check them out yourself):
- Emotionally Healthy Spirituality
- Faith Made Them Champions
- The Invisible War
- The Power of Ideas
A few commented on the amount of information in the podcast. We are experimenting a bit with the podcast, but it will remain as a magazine format. That allows you to break it up into smaller pieces without losing the train of thought. If you listen using a podcast app on your device, you can easily pause it. It will remember where you left off. That's what I do when I listen to other podcasts.
Though I didn't ask questions about faith, several of you expressed your faith through your comments. Others did not. With love and understanding we can mutually support one another. I saw this mutual care and respect among the diverse members of the Beauty In EVERYday Challenge Facebook Group.
Other information about you:
- 72% are female; 28% are male
- A large number belong to the Baby Boomer generation – 68%
- You are highly educated, with 70% having a Bachelor’s Degree or higher
- 80% of you earn above the median income in the United States
- 68% of you have paid employment; 44% professionals and 24% business owners
- 28% of you are retired
What you want most from me
- Inspiration and hope
- Learn how to think differently
- Get clear about goals and life direction
Where you've been most helped
- Find beauty in EVERYday
- Live with intention
- Personal development
- Understand and use your strengths
What's coming up?
In 2015, I focused on helping you think and imagine beyond your present circumstances. See a bigger picture and imagine a compelling future. I also gave you tools to help you design and create that future. The equivalent of glasses, binoculars, a map, and a walking stick.
In 2016, we will focus even more. Based on your responses, you'll see more inspiration, more hope. More encouragement. More about your mindset and heart. And it won't just be pie-in-the-sky or the “think system”. You'll learn how you can make actionable change if that's what you want to do.
- If you want to start or grow a business
- If you are rebuilding your life after a loss
- If you somehow drifted to where you are today and want to intentionally create what's next
I'll also keep sharing my own struggles and successes. Like you, I'm trying to make sense of life and my place in this world. Like you, I sometimes can't believe how blessed I am and at other times wonder, “How did I end up here?” I go from elation to frustration, quiet peace, insecurity, and confidence.
I don't have all the answers. I do have hope that is grounded in faith, science and experience. We can live with meaning, intention, and joy. And I am convinced that helping one another is a catalyst towards the life we are meant to have.
Thank you caring enough to give me your feedback. Thank you being part of this community. Thank you for being the wonderful, unique, precious person you are.
- I’d love to hear from you! Send me an email at email@example.com. Let me know what's on your mind. You don't have to wait for a survey. You don't have to wait for permission.
- If you haven't done so, sign up for the FREE 14-day Beauty in EVERYday Challenge. Finding beauty in EVERYday rekindles our childlike wonder and sense of discovery – in all kinds of circumstances.
- Comments here are not only welcomed, but cherished.
Always remember – the world needs your song. Sing it with all you’ve got!